Tuesday, March 13, 2012

You Don't Know What You Don't Know

The Bible says a lot about learning. The most famous passage is Deuteronomy 6:1-9.  I consider it "educational philosophy" of the Bible.  In theological terms, it would be the "discipleship paradigm".  In addition to this, Jesus talked about the importance of teaching/learning as part of His great commission (Matthew 28:19-20) when He said "Teaching them" to obey all that I've commanded.  Discipleship is the mission of the church.  In the Great Commission, you may not know that the only imperative or command is "make disciples", not "go".

When I was in U.S. Army Chaplain School, the commander was fond of saying:  "You don't know what you don't know".  That was a clever way of describing the destructive nature of ignorance.  I experienced that this morning, while surfing the web, I found a youtube video that showed how to make screenshots on my computer, really easily.  In addition, I learned many other amazing functions.  So what?  I've had this computer for 18 mos.  I didn't know I could do any of that.  I was ignorant of its features.

That's permissible, I guess when it comes to technology, but not the word of God.  The Bible gives us the answer to all of humanities' problems in the Person of Christ. Romans 10:16 says that faith comes by hearing.  As I reflect on this, I think of the Scripture that says:  "Taste and See that the Lord is good".

Here's an example of something I learned today about making a screenshot. (quickly)  This is what Bethel's new Facebook page looks like:


And by the way, here's the reference to "taste and see that the Lord is good" Psalm 34:8.

Psalm 25:4 says "Teach Me" May this be our prayer as we come to the word of God.



1 comment: