Thursday, December 10, 2009

I Won a Bible!

I love God's Word. When I graduated from Bowie High School in Arlington, my church gave all the graduates a New American Standard Bible. It was great. I read it often throughout my Bible College years at SAGU. I used it so much, the bonded leather cover began to crack and peel. Then when I graduated from college, that SAME Church gave all the College graduates a NASB....this time the leather was genuine. I carried that Bible proudly, and read it often, marked it up, all the way through Seminary. Somewhere on a guest preaching assignment in 1995, I left that Bible at a church....never to be seen again. I still have the first one, but now NIV was becoming popular so I bought a Thompson Chain Study Bible (my first of many study Bibles) at the Baptist Bookstore on campus for $10 on clearance. I was thrilled with all the helps. If you have cared enough to read this far, you're not surprised at what you've been reading. I was surprised however when I got the email last week that I had won a New American Standard Bible, calfskin, side reference, wide margin Bible in the www.logos.com Great Bible Giveaway. All I had to do was tweet, facebook, blog, put down a comment about it and add the www.bible.logos.com search engine to our Bethel Temple website. I just received it today and it is awesome! I might have never paid $150 for a Bible (although the revelation of God to man is worth that and more) I'm thrilled to have it. It's produced by the Lockman foundation and has a lifetime guaranteee. I intend to keep it and read it for a lifetime. So....you might be wondering....whither the ESV? In my humble opinion, the ESV is going to become the mainstream translation because it's the latest word-for-word translation (as opposed to the dynamic equivalence of the NIV which has been a blessing to the Evangelical/Pentecostal world for the past 25 years.) In a world where information and the Bible is available in every format available (www.logos.com) There is going to be a demand for up-to-date translations that are as close to the original wording as possible. The NASB has served with distinction still, but the ESV takes it to another level. May the Lord bless YOU as you find an understandable version that you will read and study.

No comments:

Post a Comment