Sunday, May 6, 2012

Bethel Youth


I just had the privilege of going to North Texas fine arts with our youth group @ Bethel. First, allow me to say how proud I am of our youth.
 


They are an exceptionally talented group! They sang, performed and preached with passion with the anointed word of God in their hearts. My wife Tonya, Susan Reedy and her family, one of which is our children's pastor, Preston, Matt Briggs, and our youth pastors, the Baloghs:  worked extremely hard the past few months getting them ready for this day. The result was nothing short of amazing for our church of 200.  Multiple merit awards and superior with invitation were characteristic of all performance entries.



What thrills me most; is to see junior high and high school students who are passionate for Christ.  This illustrates for me the truths found in the great commission.  Jesus gave His disciples instructions before He left earth about how to reach the world with His message.  It’s found in Matthew 28:16-20

They followed Jesus’s instructions. (they went where He told them to go) They took ownership of the mission, (they themselves worshipped, even though there were those that doubted),  they used the formula (baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey all that Jesus commanded), and they had the assurance of His presence.

What these youth are discovering is that working hard for Christ is rewarding.  Whether you are a full-time vocational minister or a volunteer.  This is where you shout.  The highest privilege a human can have is to be involved in sharing and telling the good news of Christ.   This is different from working out of a sense of duty or guilt. The grace that Christ has brought us is an overwhelming expression of the love of God, that it compels us , (compelled by love, Fine Arts theme 2011) to work for Him.

This morning in church, after I preached this sermon, I read these words from a song I remember hearing as a child during altar service from “I’ll Go Where You Want Me to Go”:

It may not be on the mountain’s height,
Or over the stormy sea;
It may not be at the battle’s front,
My Lord will have need of me;
But if by a still, small voice He calls,
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Yours,
I’ll go where You want me to go.

Refrain:
I’ll go where You want me to go, dear Lord,
O’er mountain, or plain, or sea;
I’ll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
I’ll be what You want me to be.

As the final altar call, I asked everyone who wanted to make the decision “To Disciple” to stand. All of our youth that just got all these awards at District Fine Arts, stood up.

It’s a privilege to serve at a church with youth that love God.

I’m looking forward to how they do at Nationals.  What is greater still is how many are going to come to Christ through their anointed and talented ministry over their lifetime.  To God be the Glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment