Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hey Governor Perry, Guess What? Mormonism is a Cult

First and foremost, let me provide a disclaimer.  I like watching political news. That's probably why I know about this.  Secondly, I don't ever comment on politics really, unless it involves moral and theological issues.  Third, I am privileged to teach Introduction to Theology at Southwestern Assemblies of God University. So maybe I have a sensitivity to ridiculous theological assertions.  I think its important to point out when error is being propagated, no matter who it is.

This week, Governor Perry was introduced by Dr. Robert Jeffress, the Senior Pastor of First Baptist, Dallas.  I appreciate FBC Dallas for the stand they take for Jesus.  Here is the article that mentions the event I'm referring to.

What concerns me is this comment made by the office of Rick Perry.

"Perry spokesman Robert Black said in a statement after the event, “The governor does not believe Mormonism is a cult."


You can't have it both ways. Let's not affirm the evangelical credentials of ANY candidate that suggests mormonism is not a cult.  


Watch this video about the Bible vs. the Book of Mormon.


Colossians 2:16–23 and Galatians 1:8 make it quite clear that one cannot be a Christian in name only.  Evangelicals and Pentecostals are not ignorant, Governor.  We read our Bibles and and we make our theological decisions based on the authority of Scripture, not the latest poll numbers.  Maybe if you would read your Bible you would discover the difference between truth and error.

Could Mitt Romney be a good president?  Probably.  Is he a Mormon?  Yes.  Are Mormons Christians?  not unless they have denied the jesus of the book of Mormon and accepted the Jesus of the Bible. Is the Gospel available to Mormons?  Absolutely!  Romans 10:9-10 is for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment