Friday, October 30, 2009

The Values of Church Membership

Church membership has many advantages. Jesus told Peter upon his great confession: "I will build my Church! And the Gates of Hell will not prevail against it!" Matthew 16:18 Let me list just a few of the benefits:

First, we are the local expression of the Body of Christ. God has great plans for His church. He needs members!

Second, we need you. In the Assemblies of God, churches are autonomous, or self-governing. Church membership plays a big role in that to keep us healthy and responsible with the resources God has entrusted us with. The numbers of Church members only makes that relationship stronger.

Third, we are a tremendous support structure. I heard one preacher say, "I was dedicated to Christ in the Church, I was saved in the Church, I got the Baptism in the Holy Spirit in the Church, I met my wife and was married in the Church, I believed God for my healing when sick, at the Church. I laid all my problems down at the Church, We dedicated and taught our children in the Church, I was called to preach in the Church, and the last thing that will happen to me before they put me in the ground….. I'm going to stop one more time by the Church!

As 1 Corinthians 6:15; 1 Corinthians 12-14, and Ephesians 4:11-16 declare we are members of the body of Christ. Membership has responsibilities.

Fourth, the Church constitution and by-laws require that only members can serve as deacons, vote on church business (such as election of deacons and election of a pastor, as well as other church business).

Finally, Scriptures declare that we are being built into a spiritual house (1 Peter 2:9) which God lives by His Spirit.

If you attend Bethel Temple in Ft. Worth, we will be having a Church Membership Sunday December 6, 2009. All you need to do is attend one Sunday morning session on either November 8 and 15, or 22 and make your decision to join our church.


No comments:

Post a Comment